Thursday, September 25, 2008

Proposition 8
To all my Californian friends, Vote No!

In November, Californians will vote on a ballet measure called Proposition 8. If passed, it would put an end to gay marriage in the state. According to this article, hundreds of pastors have called on their congregations to fast and pray for passage of the proposition. You know, in the name of Loving Thy Neighbor and all that.

"Some pastors around the state and nation are encouraging their flocks to forgo solid food for up to 40 days in the biblical tradition.

"Jim Garlow, the pastor of the evangelical Skyline Church in San Diego County, said he expects up to 100 young adults to spend five-plus weeks on his campus, subsisting on soup, juice and the promise of societal salvation."

Hey, it sounds like my diet. Only my definition of societal salvation differs quite drastically from theirs. Did I mention that I have lots of soup? There was a sale at the grocery store last week--8 cans of Campbell's Chunky soup for $10. If that's not a deal, I don't know what is. Ok, a better deal is the sale they had the week before--10 cans of Progresso for $10. Unfortunately, by the time I made it there the store was all cleared out of Progresso. You have to be quick with these weekly deals! (I just missed the 10 SmartOnes for $10 deal...bummer).

Anyway, back to bigotry and intolerance. "The disintegration of the family will bring ... the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets," says the Mormon President.

Sarah--to answer your question about whether churches can openly support one candidate: "Under federal law, religious organizations cannot endorse political candidates but are free to campaign on social issues without endangering their tax-exempt status."

I have a feeling many churches (or pastors/ministers/reverends, anyway) openly break this law. I was going to site that video of Palin at that church thing where her pastor says people opposed to Bush and in support of Kerry will go to hell, but I guess that wasn't a church service. Just a religious thing that may or may not have been at church.

2 Comments:

At 9/27/2008 1:12 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

A ballet measure? Will it include flats?

I read an article today about Palin that was Scathing. I couldn't believe it. I'm going to try to find it now to send it to you.

 
At 9/28/2008 12:10 AM, Blogger Emily said...

And I usually try so hard to proofread my posts!

Hehe.

Well, you know how gay people love ballet...or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home