Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Thanksgiving
And Christmas trees

My great-great-great-etc grandfather, George Soule, came over on the Mayflower and was present for the first Thanksgiving. (OK, so technically there were Thanksgivings prior to this one, but this is the one with the "Indians" that everyone thinks of as the first Thanksgiving) I wonder which of these dudes is good ol' George? My bet is on the dude in the back left with the rifle slung over his shoulder:


Fast forward three hundred plus years, and here are a few of his descendants:

For the first time since I can remember, we got a real Christmas tree! We went to a Christmas tree farm (that sounds so depressing), walked amongst them all, picked one out, cut it down, then brought it home. Yay! Which tree did we get? Did it look like one of these:

I tried to convince my parents to get a pink aluminum tree, but it was a no-go. I contemplated getting a sad little Charlie Brown tree for my apartment, but ultimately didn't. I didn't have the right blue blanket for it. :)

Here is the tree we decided upon. It looks so much bigger in the house... (it was 7.5 ft, btw)

Here we are, dragging the carcass to the car:


Then I got to drive back to Madison. It was snowy. I got to call 911 when the car in front of me spun out on the interstate. It's always fun when the car in front of you starts spinning around on the road. Thankfully, it flew into the ditch before I got to it. More to be thankful for. Huzzah! It ended up taking an hour longer than usual to get home (more due to traffic than weather conditions).

Oh, and fwiw, I finally decided upon the Playstation 2. Because it was hella more cheaper than everything else. In a perfect world I would have gotten the Wii, but we do not live in a perfect world. I ended up getting the Playstation 2 with Sing Star for $129, so I was happy. And the Rock Band 1 bundle for $99. I'll only have one guitar, but I'm only one person, so I don't mind. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!

2 Comments:

At 12/04/2008 5:52 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

There are some cool aluminum trees out there. One of my friends wanted to get an upside down one she saw somewhere. That's a little too odd for me.

Your road stories are going to give me nightmares. I already get nervous enough driving in the winter :(

 
At 12/05/2008 1:09 AM, Blogger Emily said...

My mom was telling me about these upside down trees. I don't understand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home