Tuesday, November 04, 2008

VOTE!!!
It makes you live longer.

I have a bone to pick with Madison. They never give out "I voted" stickers after you vote. I love those stickers! And how will people know I voted? Now I will undoubtedly keep being harassed by people with clipboards on the street.

I got in line to vote at the Madison Ice Arena at 7:55am. The line was pretty long. They did have a giant table full of goodies (coffee and bars and cookies, etc) that you could buy. I didn't. Being as it was an ice arena, there were also arcade games and vending machines. I contemplated getting a hot chocolate from the vending machine and playing that giant claw game (where you try to get stuffed animals), but I didn't. I was sad to see that the beverage vending machine didn't have chicken noodle soup. That was always my favorite. But weird. Chicken noodle soup from a vending machine? Huh.

But man, the organizers at my polling location had their shit together. People who needed to register were filling out forms while in line to speed things up. It ended up only taking me 25 minutes. Rock on. People who voted early to avoid long lines had to wait in line like an hour or more. Hehe. When I left the line had been almost cut in half. I was the 307th person to vote at my polling location (an hour into the voting day).

I had forgot that the coat I was wearing had an Obama sticker on it. As I was walking to the building, a lady leaving said to me, "You better take off that sticker! One girl got all the way to the front and they made her go to the back of the line because she had an Obama button." So I flipped my collar inside out. All was good. You'd think they'd have someone monitoring that as people get in line so that wouldn't happen. Oh well.

Apparently Starbucks is giving away free coffee to people who voted today. And Ben and Jerry's is giving away a free scoop of ice cream to people between the hours of 3-5 today. And Krispy Kreme is giving away free donuts. I don't think we have a Krispy Kreme here.

Yeah. I still want an "I voted" sticker, dammit!

And I will leave you all with this presidential candidate dance-off:

4 Comments:

At 11/04/2008 10:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Today was the first time in Madison that I got a sticker afterwards. So they're there, they're just not proliferating yet.

 
At 11/04/2008 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand why you can't wear candidate stickers/buttons...why not? Isn't it a first amendment right?

 
At 11/04/2008 4:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Electioneering is a touchy legal subject. The legal defense is that you can always vote by absentee ballot, or remove/cover the article of clothing. It's passive electioneering, and cases have been made that it should be allowabel. Placards and handouts, FWIW, are active electioneering and would not stand up to legal challenge.

 
At 11/05/2008 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's stupid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home