Thursday, July 19, 2007

Ooookaaaay...

Well. First, I will provide a picture of the taste-test that Joleen and I gave Sunny. I think it kind of looks like Sunny is wearing a Burger King crown on his head. Haha. Also, I forgot to mention that Joleen smashed up all the foods so Sunny couldn't tell what things were based on shape or texture. And the guy I called sous chef in the last post was really the chef d'cousine. Or something. Whatever.I also learned how to load and shoot a gun. Joleen taught me. We went to the shooting range. It was scary. Guns are scary. It was a 9mm Ladysmith. The little gun for "the ladies." I don't think I was very good at aiming, but it was hard to tell because Joleen and I wree sharing the same target and she shot the first round. So here's a pic of me shooting. And a pic of me holding the target after we finished. So don't mess with me or I'll cap yo' ass!



I ate at The French Laundry, as you all know. Sunny ended up going with Joleen and I instead of Joleen's friend due to various and unimportant reasons. Which I think we were all glad about even thought it meant spending more money for Joleen and Sunny. At the same time that we were eating there, so were Gisele and Tom Brady. Neither Joleen nor I knew who Tom Brady was. Oops. I just read last night that Gisele is the highest paid model in the world. They are both attractive people. I had a great view of them the whole time. They fed each other and ended up making out. Here's a picture of Joleen and I outside TFL. I cannot stress enough how much I HATE how I look in this picture. My hair kept blowing all over and my bangs don't stay behind my ear...so in order to get it to not blow all over my face I had to plaster it to my head for the picture. And it still got in my face. Ugh. Anyway, enjoy the ugliness.


So, we ended up get super VIPed at TFL. Because Sunny was with us. We would have been VIPed even if Sunny didn't come with us, but the 'super' came because of him. Sunny said we were VIPed more than Gisele and Tom Brady. Haha. We had a total of 20 courses!! Holy shite! I asked Sunny to get a menu for me, but I don't have it yet because they have to print it out special since we didn't have the normal menu. Amongst the things we tried: escargot, caviar, fois gras, oysters, bone marrow (??), and lobster. Plus lots of other stuff. They even special-made a few dished for us. Joleen and I always make spaghetti with pickles. Sunny must have told them that. so they brought out the pasta dish and said, "We call this spaghetti with pickles." Haha. I had told Sunny the day before that my favorite dessert ever was the chocolate lava cake from my Carnival cruise. Sunny told the pastry person that the morning of, so our last dessert was chocolate lava cake. How nice. However...

I actually didn't get to enjoy half the food. After 10 courses they brought out the lobster. I don't know what it was (smell?), but I felt super noxious. I had to actually get up and go to the bathroom because I thought I was going to throw up. This lasted the rest of the meal. They stopped serving me my food because it was making me feel ill. So everything after course 10 I either didn't eat or just tried a tiny bit from Joleen's plate. Which sucked a lot. But what can you do? I was freaking out because 1) I'm paying $240 and I'm not even eating half of it??, and 2) I felt like I was insulting the chefs who were making all this stuff just for us and I wasn't even eating it. Oh well. BUT...they ended up not charging me at all, so that was very nice. I guess I'm just not cut out for fine dining. I only took one picture of our food because it wasn't turning out very well (flash too bright) and I felt dumb taking pictures. But here's the one picture I took. It's a sashimi-type thing. There's a white sauce that you can't really see. The thing on the left is a cherry.

On the last day we rode bikes to a winery (can't remember the name of the winery...what was it, Joleen?) Don something or other, I think. We brought bread, fruit, and cheese. Then we bought the cheapest pink champagne and had a picnic on the grounds. I loved the cups we used for the champagne. Sunny had a plastic stein and Joleen and I had plastic Rainbow Brite cups. Haha.




Joleen and I also went to a noraebang one night. There's an Asian strip mall near Berkeley that has a noraebang. Technically, it's not a noraebang because it's Chinese, but it's the same thing. So that was awesome. Brought me back to the days of Korea. The good days of Korea. We also ate at a Korean restaurant in San Francisco where I got to eat some kimchi chiggae and bulgogi. Yum.

7 Comments:

At 7/19/2007 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Tahoe and Big Sur and the fair and parade and fireworks and Harry Potter and Ratatouille and all the wonderful trivial pursuit?

 
At 7/20/2007 11:24 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Those bikes rock! I love the basket on the front of yours!

 
At 7/20/2007 8:27 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I LOVE Joleen's French Laundry outfit.

 
At 7/20/2007 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks liz!

 
At 7/21/2007 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah, and the basket bike is mine too so thanks candy.
PS-congrats on getting married!

 
At 7/25/2007 11:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Whoa, Joleen looks like Natalie Portman in the FL sign picture. I had to click on it to make it bigger to be sure it was her.

 
At 8/06/2007 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arrghh! I can't believe they wasted such a degustation on you and couldn't even stomach anything!! Philistine, I am sure you ate worse things in SK!! Heh, I just read your email and am quite excited about your sis and BIL moving to Aust -- and yes, being the Downunder foodie that I am, I know who and what Testuya's is. Fair dinkum, bloody awesome maaate!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home