Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Death Rattle
Prepare to join me in singing a lament

My computer is dying. I think. A while ago, my computer's SD card slot stopped working. Which was annoying, but not too bad. This past week, however, my computer began making noises that CLEARLY should not be coming out of any computer. I dubbed it the Death Rattle. It's the sound of hardware completely breaking down and rattling about. And it's LOUD. It does come and go. Right now, it sounds OK. When I first woke it up from its slumber, it sounded like it had about 5 more minutes of life.

When it first started making these scary noises about a week ago, I backed up all my data on an external hard drive, so I'm not too concerned with losing stuff. But this is quite possibly the worst month in the history of history AND pre-history AND the future for my computer to be out of commission.

I have 3 papers due this month that I have yet to start on. I have a big project due Monday that I have yet to start on. I have a book report I have to write, before which I need to read the actual book. Due Tuesday. Plus, other things crammed in there. Seriously.

So I don't know what to do. Logic and caution tells me that I should contact Dell tech support ASAP to try to fix things before they get completely out of hand and unfixable. But that will probably take a considerable amount of time, in which my computer will probably be shipped to some facility in Atlanta. Which means I'd have to write all my papers etc, at school in the computer labs. Which I KNOW I will have a very hard time doing. Plus, it just means I'll have to spend more time at school which sucks. I was at school for 11 hours today. God. I gave a presentation on Zotero at 9:30pm for Chrissakes.

WHAT DO I DO???

(I'm hoping the rattly noise is only my computer's fan dying, not the hard drive. Both of which apparently make scary rattly noises when they're near death)

PS- Happy Pepero Day a half an hour late!!!

11 Comments:

At 11/12/2008 5:48 AM, Blogger Jason said...

1. Zotero rocks. A friend of mine wrote an article on it that will hopefully be published in January. :)
2. Hold out... hopefully your computer will make it a couple weeks. Why "volunteer" to work on campus computers when yours very well may make it through the month.

Good luck!

 
At 11/12/2008 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you waiting so long to do your work?

 
At 11/12/2008 11:42 AM, Blogger Emily said...

It's not like I've been doing NOTHING the past month or whatever. It's just that these things, while always on the calendar, were never priorities because they were due at the end of the semester. As opposed to the other things I HAVE been doing that were due earlier.

Not to say I don't have any blame in the matter. I SHOULD have been working on these things as well as the other things I've been doing, but...I procrastinate. And Mom was here this weekend so I didn't get anything done.

So STOP JUDGING ME.

 
At 11/12/2008 11:49 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Zotero does rock, although I knew nothing about it prior to planning my presentation, so I haven't worked with it that much. How awesome is the Web snapshot feature?? And full text PDF searching? And all the cute little icons for the different types of media? My favorite is the little iPod for audio records. Or the rolled-up newspaper.

Clearly, the icons are the most important feature of Zotero.

 
At 11/12/2008 2:37 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

WTF is Pepero day? What are all these terms I've never heard of?

I'll look up some stuff for you, it's possible there's something you can do to alleviate it. My laptop was close to dying for a looooooong time before I got a new one. Several years.

 
At 11/12/2008 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a teacher, you should have no sympathy for procrastinators, including yourself.

 
At 11/12/2008 6:25 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hey now. In this post I'm not complaining about the amount of work I have, I'm complaining that I might have to do all this work on a computer other than my own.

There's a difference.

That said, UGH!!! I have tooooo much work to do this month!!!!!

 
At 11/12/2008 6:27 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Oh, and Liz -

Pepero Day is a "holiday" in Korea. It's on 11/11. Because Pepero is a type of candy that looks like a stick, and 11/11 looks like 4 Pepero sticks. It's pretty much like Valentine's Day. Invented by corporations to sell candy. I got approximately 5 tons of Pepero on Pepero Day from my students when I was in Korea.

 
At 11/12/2008 8:28 PM, Blogger Candy said...

I thought for a bit maybe Pepero was a code for Veteran's Day (which Jake got off, but I didn't) . :P

Damn, if I would have had some advance notice, I would have tried to celebrate Pepero Day.

 
At 11/13/2008 10:14 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Are you kidding me? Because 11/11 looks like 4 Pepero sticks? That is hysterical!

 
At 11/13/2008 11:57 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Pepero Day on Wikipedia

Check out the flavor Nude Lemon Cheese. Mmmmm...sounds delish!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home