Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It's Friggin' Freezing
That's winter in the upper midwest for ya...

Schools in the area have already closed for Thursday due to extreme windchill temps. Not Madison, because they're leaving the decision up until tomorrow morning. But the windchill in the next day or so is supposed to be around -40. Which, prior to around the year 2000, would have been about -80, as they changed the way they measure windchill.

Which explains some things for me, as I was remembering back in the day when I was in (k-12) school it seemed that windchills were not infrequently between -25 and -40. And when the state of Minnesota canceled all school in the state, it was due to -80 temps. I thought the world was turning pussyish (pardon the misogynistic term). But really, they just fixed windchill measuring methods. How?

Well, they used to measure wind speed at about the 30 ft level. Now they measure it at the 5 ft level, because that's the level that effects us humans, walking around the earth. Winds are less strong at the 5 ft level than at the 30 ft level; therefore, the temp is a bit higher. So. Now you know.

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to walking to and then waiting at the bus stop tomorrow morning. I think I'll succumb to wearing a scarf, even though I hate the feeling of stuff bunching around my neck. But I think I'd hate the feeling of frostbite even more.

I have nothing else to write about. I played SingStar with Sarah last night. I consistently beat her by 1000 points or so. I'm obviously destined to become an 80s Pop Superstar.

4 Comments:

At 1/14/2009 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What sort of scarfie wouldn't wear a scarf anyway? ;-)

 
At 1/14/2009 7:58 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I know...I even have one from New Zealand with a kiwi on it!

 
At 1/15/2009 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why do you have to take a bus, i thought you had a car?

 
At 1/15/2009 6:05 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Unless I want to pay $10-$20 to park in a ramp all day, there's nowhere to park. Street parking has a 2 hour limit for like a 5 mile radius around campus. And even if I didn't have to worry about the 2 hour limit, it'd still be hard to find a parking spot. Too many cars, not enough spaces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home