Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It Don't Mean a Thing
If it ain't got that swing

As I walked into the grocery store last night, my cellphone rang. It was Sarah, who must have just finished bowling (she's in a new bowling league).

"Hey, Sarah."

"Hi. I was wondering if you wanted ot meet up for frozen custard, or something." (Michael's Frozen Custard is next door to my apt)

"Sure. Guess where I am right now?"

"Where?"

"Copp's. I'm buying orange juice."

"Hey, I'll meet you there. I need to get stuff for dinner tomorrow."

So, I hung out in the produce section a while until Sarah arrived. then I walked around with her as she gathered random food items. Aka fruit and salmon. And milk. Then we left and went to get "frozen custard."

The flavor of the day was listed as "Chocolate PB Drizzle." Sarah needed further clarification:

Sarah (to worker): "What is Chocolate PB Drizzle?"

Worker: "Chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirled in."

I order the Chocolate PB Drizzle. Yum.

Sarah (to me): "I don't really like peanut butter."

Sarah (to worker): "I'll have a cup of chocolate ice cream with peanut butter cup topping."

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah...

So, it was really nice today, so I went out for a walk. As I walked past Sherwood Park (on Friar Lane), I was tempted by the swing set. So then I went and swung for about 20 minutes. Swinging is awesome. As I swung, I reminisced about swings.

There's the ol' "being married to the person who's swinging with you," and "getting divorced when you swing apart."

We used to have contests to see who could jump off their swing the furthest. I think I'd be scared nowadays to jump off a swing at the height I used to do it. I once jumped off my swing, got my finger caught on the chain, and had a chunk of skin ripped off my finger. That was gross. And painful.

I used to try and see if you could swing so high you'd flip over the bar. Never happened. But you do get so high as to get that jarring feeling when the swing gets a bit slack at the apex, but then quickly gets taut again as you go back down. That kinda sucked.

The BEST playground equipment in the world was this weird-ass double swing thing. I have no idea what to call it, or how to explain it. But it was seriously awesome. I tried to find a picture of it, but I don't know what search parameters to use. I don't think it was supposed to be used how we used it, because it just seems to be asking for trouble, but any other way would be lame-ass. They ended up taking it down (it was in a park near my grandma and grandpa's house)...probably because it caused too many injuries. Joleen, how would you describe it??

2 Comments:

At 6/25/2008 6:32 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Chocolate PB Drizzle sounds pretty good. I recently had a Rice Krispie treat sundae at the Dairy Godmother here...it involves custard, marshmallow fluff, and rice krispies. Awesome. Does Michael's have a flavor calendar? I may have to plan my visit.

 
At 6/29/2008 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to swing too!

When we bought our house, it came with this little playhouse/fort thing (sooooo cool) and a swing. I didn't swing on the swing earlier this spring, though, because water was puddled up on the seat. Now the water is gone, but the swing's seat is broken (I bet that darn kid at our housewarming broke it!). You make me realize that I need to fix the swing and swing swing swing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home