Sunday, June 15, 2008

Whips and Crunchies and Tim Tams...Oh My!
Aussie Lollies

What crazy weather we've been having! The last couple of weekends have produced big storms and torrential rains, bringing tornadoes and floods upon us. The Wrath of God. He must be punishing us Wisconsinites for California allowing gay marriage. That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

My mom visited me last week. She had to find an alternate route home, as I-90 was shut down from Madison to Mauston due to flooding. But she got home ok and sent some pictures of flooded fields she passed on her way home. Way to take pictures while driving on the highway, Mom! :)
While Madison did get a lot of rain (we already broke the all-time June rainfall record before half the month was over), we were spared the worst of the storms. No tornadoes in Madison, but lots of small touchdowns in nearby towns (although none were too bad). No flooding to my knowledge in Madison, but lots of bad floods in the area. It looks beautiful here today! Although I guess the sewage treatment plant had too high water levels, and some sewage was beginning to seep into Cherokee marsh, Lake Monona, and Lake Mendota. Ewww.

Here's a picture of my balcony during one of the rain storms (and no, Sarah, I have not yet spoken to my landlord about this. I know, I know...):


My mom brought Wicket with her on her visit here. Wicket would stand immobile on my balcony for hours (literally) staring between the wood planks at a bird's nest, I think. It was very humorous.

Joleen sent me some lollies from Australia. They're yummy. I really enjoyed the Crunchie bar (Sarah hated it). The Whip bar was good, too--It was like a higher quality Milky Way bar. The best have to be the Tim Tams. They're these chocolate wafery things, with various fillings. She sent me double chocolate ones and caramel ones. The most awesome way to eat them is by biting the ends off of them and using them like a straw to suck up your coffee. That's called a Tim Tam Slam. A.W.E.S.O.M.E. Sometimes you get a Tim Tam that doesn't do a very good job of sucking up the coffee...like a straw with a hole punched in it. Sometimes I get greedy and try to suck up too much coffee, saturating the Tim Tam past the point of cohesiveness and have half of it fall into my mug. :( Like when you dip your Chips Ahoy or Oreo in milk too long.


I went to the Sex and the City movie on Friday with Sarah and Stacy. It was a'ight. On Saturday I went to the farmer's market with Sarah, then we went to Wingra Park for Jazz in the Park. It was beautiful from 1 'til 3, or so. We listened to the Edgewood jazz band. Then a big ol' thunderstorm rolled in and we left.

Riley turned 3 last week. I did not go to he party. It was Strawberry Shortcake themed (her new favorite cartoon thing). Joleen had a Strawberry Shortcake themed party when she was 4. I guess Riley has imaginary friends. They have bizarre names-- Toodoo, Ja, and Cunny. And another that mom couldn't remember. Toodoo and Ja are boys who live in Florida. She had to go to "the land" to rescue Cunny from...something. Joleen had imaginary friends. Genuine, who I guess she called Genue. And a grandma named Silver Hattie...which is hilarious to me. Silver Hattie. Hahahahaha!!! I don't recall ever having an imaginary friend. Did any of yous guys?

4 Comments:

At 6/16/2008 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're called Crunchies, dammit, not Crispies!
There was also a great grandma named Mini-ma-toastie.
And Genuine was her first and last name--first name Genu, last name Wine.

 
At 6/16/2008 8:42 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Yeah, that's what I said! Hehe.

Man! Originally, I wanted to write Crunchie, but then I thought that THAT was the wrong one, so I switched it to Crispie.

 
At 6/18/2008 9:52 AM, Blogger Candy said...

I was into Strawberry Shortcake back in the day, too. I'm pretty sure I went as her for Halloween when I was about 3.

I don't recall having imaginary friends as a kid. Britt did, though. Her imaginary friend was named Tracy and was a rollerskating gorilla. She also liked to pretend that she was married to PeeWee Herman. Ha!

 
At 6/24/2008 11:05 AM, Blogger Auntie said...

I just read some stuff that Grandma Mellin wrote as I am writing her life story...She also had an imaginary friend named Mary. That's all she wrote so I will try to find out more about when and what they did!
I don't recall ever having an imaginary friend...except for my dolls which I played with A LOT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home