Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Welcome to Gingerbread Land!
Run! Run! As fast as you can!

Sarah and I made gingerbread men (and houses) this past weekend. Mine came alive, ran off, and found a new home in a magical forest. At least they're happy.


I loved Sarah's first two gingerbread men, as it looked like they were wearing swimming suits. :D We both got sick of decorating them, Sarah faster than me. Her cookies are on the left, and mine are on the right:


In other news, I subbed for my old co-teacher's 7th grade class yesterday. At this particular school, there are about 40 kids per class. However, there are 2 teachers and another special ed teacher (who teaches other subjects as well). Well, on this day one of the teachers was scheduled to be gone the whole day (whom I was subbing for) and another teacher was scheduled to leave in the afternoon, leaving only one "regular" teacher there. However, that teacher called in sick that morning, meaning that for half the day all the teachers were subs. Plus, they never found a sub for the teacher who called in sick, so it was really only 2 subs and some random people who popped in and out to help.

Oh. My. God. This had to be the worst behaved class I have ever subbed for. It was seriously out of control. I'm just glad that I wasn't the only one there! I can't describe in writing how horrible it was. They completely ignored everything we said. Half the class time was spent trying to get them to sit down and be relatively quiet. Which never worked. They were running around, screaming, throwing things...you name it. And there were so many of them doing it that you couldn't pull out the "worst" of the pack. It'd've been half the class.

The school secretary was really excited to see me when I came to check in. I was kind of surprised, because I doubt she remembered me from when I student taught there--it was 3 years ago and I never made a point to hang out in the office much. But she said that now she knows I'm subbing, she'll try to request me to come to the school more often. Which is nice, but do I want to go back to that school??? Then again, I think I subbed for the most difficult class in the school. I hope. Dear God.

Anyway, I'm driving home and thinking about how pointless that day was. Seriously, I have no idea if they learned ANYTHING. It was complete and utter chaos 3/4 of the time. So then I'm watching the news that evening and the most ironic news story comes up--Forbes apparently just published a list of the best schools in the nation. Coming in at #2: Dane county (Madison and surrounding communities). Hahahahahaha!!!!!! Obviously they never visited the school I was just at! Seriously, if they're #2 then our educational system is seriously in trouble. Fyi, the #1 schools were Washington DC schools. Which also surprised me (not that I really know anything about their schools, but I wouldn't have guessed that).

3 Comments:

At 12/19/2007 7:56 AM, Blogger Candy said...

DC public schools? #1 for what? They suck...it's all in the news about how the schools are falling apart and there's all this corruption and whatnot. Mayor Fenty and the new school chancellor Michelle Rhee are doing all this work to overhaul them. The enrollment is declining by a lot and they want to shut down a bunch of schools and work on improving the ones left after that. There's also talk of firing a lot of school staff.

I think there are some decent charter schools in DC, maybe that's what they are talking about?

U.S. News and World Report put out a list recently of the top high schools in the nation. Thomas Jefferson High School in Alexandria is number one on the list. It's a public magnet school for students interested in the sciences. I looked at their info. online and it's really competitve to get into...like the kids need letters of reference and need to pay to take an entrance exam.

Oh, and I read that some errors were made calculating the US News list. Montpelier High School in Vermont was originally listed as #5 in the nation, when it's only in the top 500, not the top 5. Whoops. Standard and Poor had some explaining to do...

 
At 12/23/2007 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how does that class compare with the Kolea?!!

 
At 1/11/2008 6:22 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Okay, the Quality Counts report came out this week, and DC's schools were ranked last in the nation according to that.

Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.edweek.org/ew/qc/2008/18src.h27.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home