Friday, May 16, 2008

Miss Mary Mack v. Miss Suzy
I say Miss Suzy wins on the merits of barely skirting naughtiness

Last weekend I went with my mom to babysit Riley and Nora. They like the sandbox:


Here we are in the morning, still dressed in our jammies:


Yesterday, I somehow got to thinking about playing games when we were kids, and the methods we employed to determine who was (or wasn't) 'it'. The most common was to have all the kids stick one of their feet in a circle with everyone else's feet, and then do some sort of song/rhyme while simultaneously poking all the feet. It's funny, because I have a very good sensory memory of being the "poker" and poking the toe part of everyone's shoe...as well as feeling my toe being poked. Then I laughed about the stupid rhymes we'd say. The two most common:

My mother and your mother were hanging up close;
My mother hit your mother right in the nose.
What color was her blood?
[purple...or whichever color the last person who was poked picked]
P-U-R-P-L-E
And you are not it, you dirty-double dishrag you!

Eeny meeny miny mo,
Catch a tiger by the toe.
If he hollers let him go,
Eeny meeny miny mo.
My mother told me to pick the very best one,
And you are not it, you dirty-double dishrag you!

Bubblegum, bubblegum in a dish;
How many pieces do you wish?
[6]
1-2-3-4-5-6
And you are not it, you dirty double dishrag you!

I was looking these up online, especially the first one, because the "were hanging up close" didn't really seem to make much sense to me...but I guess that's what it is! However, I didn't get a single hit on the "dirty double dishrag you" part. Which was interesting to me. Was that just a neighborhood/very regional addition? Did any of you guys ever say that part?

Then I remembered those hand-clapping games and thought about this one:

See, see, Oh playmate
Come out and play with me
And bring your dollies three
Climb up my apple tree
Slide down my rainbow
Into my cellar door
And we'll be jolly friends
Forevermore, one two three four, shut the door!

As I was writing this out, I realized that I had no idea how to write out the first part-- See, see, oh playmate? Cici, Oh playmate? C-C-O playmate? Wtf? I always just sang it and didn't think about what that part meant. After looking it up, I saw the first 2 options, but the most common seemed to have the song starting simply, "O, playmate." Lame. Also, I guess the original also substituted 'rainbow' for 'rain barrel'. Ultra lame. Wtf's a rain barrel?

Oh yeah, how about this one?

Bo bo, si wotten totten
Ah ah, she-boom she-boom
Itty bitty wotten-tot BOOM!

How weird. I remember some other hand-clapping song involving counting yen, or some shit like that. But that's all I remember about it.

9 Comments:

At 5/16/2008 4:20 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

we said dirty, dirty, dishrag you. i think.


I thought Cici or CC was the name of some girl.

CC my enemy,
Come out and fight with me.
Bring your soldiers three
???????????????????????

Slide down my razor blade,
Into my toliet bowl.
And we'll be enemies,
forever more, more, slam the door!

 
At 5/16/2008 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never said the shut the door part, and I also thought CC was the name of a girl. But my dirty version was
CC oh enemy
Come out and fight with me
And bring your weapons three
Climb up my thorny tree
Slide down my razor blade
Into my dungeon door
And we'll be enemies, forever more

Emily, we always said my mother socked your mother right in the nose.

 
At 5/17/2008 6:37 AM, Blogger Candy said...

I swear we said something like, "by a dirty, dirty dishrag on my big fat toe" or something like that...I can't quite remember though. Man, I should call my sister. Can I phone a friend?

I never remember hearing the one about the mothers getting into a fist fight. That's pretty good.

I remember a few years back hearing a about some lawsuit that happened because of a flight attendant who used "Eeny Meeny" for something. She offended a black woman who said that the rhyme has racist origins. "Catch a nigger by the toe."

I never really got into the hand clapping games too much, as I didn't have other girls in my grade, but I do remember this one:

"A sailor went to sea, sea, sea
To see what he could see, see, see,
But all that he could see, see, see,
Was the bottom of the deep blue sea, sea, sea"

I vaguely remember you having a good song about sailors and drinking or something. I don't think it was a kids' song. I can't remember anything else about it, though. Refresh my memory, would you? Go!

 
At 5/17/2008 7:59 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

emily,

please refrain from the song about soldiers. my ears may start bleeding.

 
At 5/17/2008 10:26 AM, Blogger Emily said...

What would you do with a drunken sailor?
What would you do with a drunken sailor?
What would you do with a drunken sailor,
Early in the morning?!

Throw him in the brig with the captain's daughter!
Throw him in the brig with the captain's daughter!
Throw him in the brig with the captain's daughter,
Early in the morning!

There are a bunch of other verses as well, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

 
At 5/17/2008 4:02 PM, Blogger Candy said...

YES!!!

Drunken sailors!

I love it.

 
At 5/17/2008 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shave his belly with a rusty razor
Shave his belly with a rusty razor
Shave his belly with a rusty razor
Early in the mornin'

 
At 8/02/2008 3:27 AM, Blogger Tera said...

What about the second verse?

"It was a rainy day,
She couldn't come out and play
With tearful eyes, she breathed a sigh
And I could hear her say:

Say, say, oh playmate
I cannot play with you
My dolly's got the flu
Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo

Ain't got no rainbow
Ain't got no cellar door
But we'll be jolly friends
Forever more"

I found it in one of my grandmother's old piano books.

 
At 8/15/2013 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! This is an old conversation, but I googled the rhyme "c c o playmate" to try and figure out the words...I found this conversation. It makes sense: "Say, say, oh playmate..."

When I was in 2nd grade (around 1982) the funny lyrics we had:

Say, say oh enemy
Come out and fight with me
And bring your Martians three
Climb up my thistle tree

Slide down my razor blade
Into my driller store
And we'll be angry enemies
Forever more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home