Wednesday, April 30, 2008

TV Inspired Comments

This post was spawned while viewing a commercial for...something. I can't remember the product, but the theme was "motherhood". Motherhood means blah blah blah. Motherhood means yadda yadda yadda. One of the lines was, "Motherhood means ponytails are even." Then it showed a little girl with nice looking ponytails bopping around next to her momma. This led me to a couple of things.

1) I like it when you see a little kid with completely uneven and messy ponytails. Actually, why do I continue to say ponytails? To me, ponytail should be singular and when there's more than one they become pigtails. So, I like it when you see a little kid with completely uneven and messy pigtails. I think it's cute. It's very kid-like.

2) I'd say most females can braid hair with relative ease. The normal braid, anyway. French braiding is definitely another matter. It's like one of the things all little girls do with each other--"Can I braid your hair?" I remember in 4th grade, we used to have a storytime, or whatever, where the teacher would read a book to the class (or a few chapters, anyway). All the girls would do each other's hair during this time. Everyone always wanted to do my hair since it was so damn long. Occasionally, a boy in class would attempt to braid someone's hair. I was always amused at their total ineptitude at the task. I remember trying to teach Chris M. to braid hair in college. It was like he just didn't have the manual dexterity to do it. I think I can braid at a fairly impressive speed.

This motherhood commercial was followed by a Valtrex/herpes commercial. My next comment relates to the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Sarah, you can spread herpes to your "partner" even when your symptoms aren't flaring up, or whatever. So it's very possible they all have herpes now. Nice. :/

Then there was this thing on The Today Show about parents who use iPods to tell their kids bedtime stories. You know, instead of reading to their kids themselves, they have their kids listen to an iPod telling the story. My first thought was, "Yeah, it's better for an actual person to be reading, but I guess the iPod thing is better than nothing." Then I reminisced about laying in bed with Joleen when we were little and telling each other stories. That was fun. And I definitely remember Joleen reading to me more than my parents. Although, obviously, my first few years of life (which I don't remember) it had to be my parents who read to me. Joleen wasn't that precocious. I love how kids love books.

It friggin' snowed on Monday. Huge flakes. Pretty heavy snow for about a half an hour, at least. Hard enough where it did accumulate on the ground and turn the ground white. Temporarily. The temp then must've raised a bit or something, because it turned back into rain and melted it all. But it's almost May. And it snowed. Bah. We're going through a cold spurt. Ugh.

I just saw a Mariah Carey perfume commercial. It was horrible. And I'm pretty sure they pronounced perfume, "parfoom."

4 Comments:

At 5/01/2008 9:54 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I can braid, but not that well. I cannot do french braids and I cannot braid my own hair well at all. I never really did much braiding when I was little, compared to other girls.

I remember my dad reading me stories before bedtime. It's cool that Joleen read to you. I never would have imagined it being a sibling thing, but why not?

Have you watched the Departed yet?

Hey, my mom and I are going to see Shine A Light next week. Yay!

 
At 5/02/2008 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the witch let a fart like this......
Actually I did read to you your first few years of life as I could read before you were even born.
Back me up mom...

 
At 5/02/2008 10:09 AM, Blogger Candy said...

French braids!

So, there have been several articles recently about the styles of the Texas sect women. There was one in the Washington Post Express about how long hair and prairie skirts are in. There was this ridiculous sentence in it about how New York hipsters might only sport a french braid in an "ironic" way- whatever that means. My coworkers think the fashion stuff about these women is hilarious.

Also, do you remember topsy-tail? That thing was funny...

PS I like reading your blog posts, even though Sarah thinks they're lame.

 
At 5/03/2008 6:52 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I just saw the parfoom commercial and they did indeed say parfoom. :D :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home