Thursday, February 28, 2008

WTF?
I'm so unlearned

Yahoo news is so informational, and they do a great job of luring me into the complete story with their headlines/bylines/whatever they're called. Example:

A man blinded by an explosion has his sight restored after doctors insert his son's tooth in his eye.

What?? How does this make any sense??? Is this actually true????? The answer is yes. Crazy, I know. There was also another linked bullet point under the byline which said, "Find other cures for blindness." Jesus?

Then I see an article called, "A new way to memorize the names of the 11 planets." What??? Last I heard, Pluto wasn't a planet and there were only 8! So I click on the link and see that apparently, at some point, it was decided that Pluto was a planet...as is Ceres and Eris. When did this happen?? Did everyone else know this? Am I a moron? And the thing is, I'm actually interested in shit like this. What gives? For the record, the new mnemonic device for remembering the ELEVEN planets is "My very exciting magic carpet just sailed under nine palace elephants." (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Eris)

Yeah. So implanting a tooth in your eye socket cures blindness and there are 11 planets in our solar system.

News of the Day.

1 Comments:

At 2/29/2008 1:21 PM, Blogger Candy said...

Okay, so I had to look up about the eleven planets thing...Pluto and the two other weird ones you listed are considered dwarf planets, according to wikipedia. So do we count them as planets or not? What's the difference between dwarf planets and regular planets? Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to do more than a cursory look at this solar system article right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home