Monday, February 18, 2008

Primary Colors
Let's all wave the ol' Red...Yellow(?)...and Blue!

In response to Candy's comment asking "So, if you're not sure who to vote for, what makes you hesitant about Obama?" I respond with, " I'm not hesitant about Obama. I just think it's kind of unfair to Hillary to not vote for her simply because it bothers me about the whole Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton thing. You know, it wouldn't be basing my decision on her actual policy stances and such." But in all honesty, if I see one more Obama TV ad I may shoot myself and not have to worry about for whom to vote. I think I see an average of 2 every commercial break.

Sarah and I were talking about how people call Hillary Clinton by her first name and Barack Obama by his last name. We debated whether or not it had anything to do with the fact that she's a woman and if it's at all demeaning/condescending. I decided that it's just confusing to call her Clinton because you think of Bill Clinton when you think of Clinton. At least I do. And how many other famous Obamas are there out there?

I think that Obama has a better chance at beating McCain than H. Clinton does. That's actually a very convincing argument for me to vote for Obama.

Tonight, Sarah and I are going to an H. Clinton rally at the Monona Terrace. I figured we may as well be equal opportunity and check out her's as well as Obama's. It was supposed to be yesterday, but got postponed to today because of our shit-ass weather.

My parents visited me this weekend. They came up on Saturday. We went to my neighborhood sports bar--Babe's--and watched the game (along with Sarah). They played the Gophers. It was much closer than I would have liked, but at least that made it more tolerable for my dad. We then hung around and did nothing for a while, then we watched Evan Almighty on DVD. It wasn't very good. Then we went to Paisan's for dinner where our pizza had WAAAAY too much garlic. I felt like throwing up all night. It was horrible.

My parents were planning on leaving on Sunday, but we got freezing rain Saturday night and a bunch of snow on Sunday. Travel was inadvisable, so they ended staying another night and left today. Madison's snowfall total has now surpassed the 7 foot mark. We're just shattering the old snowfall record! I guess the Today Show did a segment live from Madison this morning about our weather, but it must have been sometime in the first half hour because I missed it. Did you know that the Today Show is on from 7-11?? Seriously. 4 HOURS??? Holy crap.

I need to go and start making supper now. Later.

3 Comments:

At 2/18/2008 9:46 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I call her Clinton. I want to vote for her because she's a woman and that's it. I don't really like Obama because a) I like the idea of a woman president and b) all his celebrity support immensely annoys me. That I think is equal if not worse to your fear of dynasties. (I wouldn't ACTUALLY care when it came down to it, but you know).

 
At 2/19/2008 1:42 PM, Blogger Candy said...

I really like the idea of a woman president, too, but I just have so many other reservations about Hillary. Like, if she is elected president, it'll be a symbolic gain for women, but it feels tainted to me in some way just because of how much influence Bill had in the whole thing. I also have this feeling when I hear her talk that she's so much of a Washington insider at this point. I feel like she's really beholden to all these special interests. Maybe I would vote for Hillary if it was the idealistic Hillary from 1992, but for some reason now that she's Hillary '08, I can't get behind her.

I guess I want fresh and I want idealism...

It's interesting that you're behind her, Liz. I think you're one of the first young women I've heard say they're voting for her. I feel like a lot of older women are in her court. Jake's mom is voting for her and I've heard things from older women around here that make it seem that they're backing her. However, it seems to me that young people seem are backing Obama. I've actually even heard a couple of them say they won't vote for Hillary in the general election if she's the nominee (which seems a bit silly to me...).

 
At 2/19/2008 6:57 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I wouldn't really say I'm behind Hillary Clinton, I guess - it's just more of an idle comment like Emily's dynasty thing. I definitely don't know enough to have an opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home