Thursday, March 13, 2008

Grad School
To be or not to be?

I don't recall if I ever mentioned this in my blog or not, but about a month ago I decided to apply to the Library and Information Sciences program at the UW. I just have no enthusiasm for teaching anymore (as if I've ever REALLY experienced it yet). The more I thought about it, the more library and information work seemed to appeal to me. I thought I had missed the application deadline--it made it seem like the deadline was in December. But then I noticed that that was the deadline if you wanted to be considered for scholarships and such.

I called the department to ask if it was too late to apply, and was told that they continue accepting applications until all spots have been filled. She informed me that they had just sent out 80 letters of acceptance...and they only accept 75-80 people/year (they only have fall admission). That didn't sound good, but she said that many people end up not accepting because they don't have a lot of money for scholarships and such. Which gave me some hope.

So I very hurriedly put together my application, taking a day to write all my essays and stuff. I sent everything in the next day and have been waiting for news since.

I went down to get my mail this afternoon and I got a letter from the grad school. It was in a normal sized envelope and not one of those big ones. I had a very bad sinking feeling that it did not contain good news. Don't they normally say that it's not good news to get a small letter? Anyway, I opened it and was very surprised to read that I WAS accepted!!!! Yay!!!!!

I honestly thought I was going to die when I saw the small letter and anticipated a rejection. I'm having a huge crisis right now in regards to what I want to be doing, and if I wasn't accepted I'd be at a total loss as to what to do next. I'd probably have had some sort of nervous and/or mental breakdown. I think I've already come close to having a nervous breakdown these past few weeks without even thinking I'd not been accepted.

So. Phew. Giant weight is now lifted off my chest. I know what I'll be doing for the next 2 years of my life, anyway. After that, I guess I'll have to find something else to delay going out into the real world. :)

5 Comments:

At 3/13/2008 7:45 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Congratulations! You deserve the opportunity...much more than any other nerd out there in information science land.

 
At 3/14/2008 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I knew you'd be accepted. Now I just need to get my ass back to the states to do the same thing and then me you and mom can all be giant nerds together. We can start up book clubs and attend star trek conventions. But no Stargate conventions, that's too nerdy even for librarians.

 
At 3/14/2008 7:47 AM, Blogger Candy said...

That's awesome. Congratulations!

You know, I still want to go back to school (again) sometimes, too...I don't think Jake's a fan of that plan, though.

 
At 4/27/2008 12:07 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Write a new blog...movie reviews would even be acceptable. How did you like Accross the Universe? Have you seen 3:10 to Yuma? What are your feelings towards Baby Mama?

Give me something.

 
At 4/27/2008 12:11 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Sarah, aren't you supposed to be, like, preparing stuff for school or something??

Indian food...yummy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home