Saturday, August 16, 2008

Congratulations to the happy couple!
Post 1 of 2, in which I regale you with pictures and words about our trip "up North."

Since I'm not too invested in watching indoor track cycling (or whatever it's called), I think I'll compose my wedding/cabin blog entry. (Although a Kiwi is currently battling it out for the gold medal...Go NZ! Beat the Brit!)

So, Brighton arrived in Madison and stayed with me for a few days. She had enough luggage to last about 2 months. ;) On thursday afternoon, Sarah, Brighton, and I left Madison and headed for Tofte, MN...the site of Laura and Michael's wedding (a couple hours north of Duluth). Considering it was an 8-9 hour drive, it didn't go by too slowly. The perks of having 2 other people in the car with you...

We arrived in Tofte around 9, and after eventually finding Liz's room, we snuck in (we are cheap...Bluefin Bay Resort is not). It seemed really pretty, but kind of hard to tell since it was dark). Sarah composed herself an ambitious schedule for the next day, including swimming, visiting the gym, biking, kayaking, and hiking. I composed my own schedule of doing whatever the hell I felt like at the time.

(update: the Kiwi lost. :( Now it's on to women's badminton--China v. China)

After awaking, we did various stuff to fill up the day until the wedding (which was at 6:30). We went swimming (in the pool, not Lake Superior...that's a bit cold). Sarah DID end up going biking with Brighton, but it was a short 20 minute ride. Let's just say that Brighton's not going to be competing in the Olympics in a cycling category anytime soon.


I hung around and enjoyed the pretty view. Talked a bit with Laura and Michael that morning. Talked Laura down from the ledge...she was thinking about becoming a runaway bride. (haha, kidding)

Then we got dolled up and headed to the main event. It was VERY pretty. I don't have many pictures because the lighting wasn't good for my camera and I felt intrusive snapping pictures.
So feel free to share your pictures, Laura!!! The ceremony was short and sweet, just how I like them. :)

Then we went to the reception where a good time was had by all. Our table got just a bit rowdy. :D After the reception we headed out to the beach and made s'mores around a campfire. All in all, a very enjoyable time was had by all. Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Bendzick!!

I wanted to get up and see the sun rise over Lake Superior the next morning. We found out that the sunrise was at 5:43. So I set my alarm for 5:35, prompting Sarah to complain that I was setting it 8 minutes early. I promised not to wake her up until 5:40. Fast-forward to 4:30am...I'm awakened by Sarah who says to me, "I think the sun is rising now!" I get up and check and it wasn't. It was just getting a bit light because sunrise was approaching. You'd think after complaining about being woken up 5 minutes early, Sarah could at least go out and check to see if the sun actually WAS rising before waking me up an HOUR early. Haha.

The next day we (me, Sarah, Elizabeth, and Brighton) left Tofte and headed for my cabin where'd we'd stay for the next week. That was another 3-4 hour drive. We serously had to drive for 2 hours before we found a place to eat. And this wasn't us being super picky...there was just NOTHING. Unless you count a trailer selling bait and groceries acceptable. We ended up eating at the McDonald's in Hibbing.

Then we arrived at my cabin. Now I'm getting sick of writing. But rowing is on, and I don't really care about rowing. So I'll continue. But in a new post.

1 Comments:

At 8/17/2008 6:34 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Wow...it looks really gorgeous on the water there. I can see now why Laura picked the location.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home