Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Games of the XXIX Olympiad
[cue majestic NBC Olympic music]

I have loads of pics to post from the wedding/cabin extravaganza, but I'm not going to do it tonight because I don't feel like it. Bu tI will give my random thoughts on the Olympics.

I'm addicted to watching the Olympics. Even thought they make me want to kill myself at times, due to being forced to watch events I don't care about (water polo), events I've seen WAAAAY too much of (beach volleyball), and an insanely high number of commercials and inaction (men's gymnastics team finals competition, anyone?). But I love watching swimming, gymnastics (when they're actually doing something on an apparatus and not standing around waiting for scores or setting up equipment), and now track has started which is interesting. Since I don't get cable, I'm limited to watching events on plain ol' NBC. I suppose I could watch things online, but...I'm not.

Jesus (pr. Jeeziz) Christ. Michael Phelps is INSANE. I just about died watching the 100m fly finals. And that's after I just recovered from dying from watching the 4x100 free relay.

The 50m free (which determines the fastest swimmer on the planet) is bizarre to watch. Apparently, it's called the Splash and Dash, which is very accurate. They swim one length of the pool at a crazy fast pace, and water flies everywhere. I found it very humorous.

Awesome job with the two US women going gold and silver in gymnastics.

Bela Karoli is only 68% intelligible.

Kobe Bryant speaks Italian and Spanish. I was impressed.

After watching the opening ceremonies, I am convinced that the Chinese are all robots.

I need to go to World Market and buy some Tim Tams (not Olympics-related, but important nonetheless).

Watching people compete on the pommel horse gives me heart palpatations.

I was was sitting outside Genna's last night (a bar on Capitol Square) when two cops came running up with guns drawn, yelling "Get down!" They then proceeded to tackle a scraggly looking guy to the ground and drag him off in hand cuffs. Very exciting. After watching the news, I deduced that he had threatened a woman with a knife and strangulation or something, then ran off. I happened to have a front seat for him getting caught. Rock on.

That's all for now. Olympic coverage is now repeating itself. I wish NBC late night coverage would show stuff that they played on other NBC affiliates instead of replaying the primetime stuff they've already showed. Because then I'd have an excuse to never leave my couch. Ever. Except for the few hours NBC still shows Days of Our Lives and Martha Stewart.

4 Comments:

At 8/16/2008 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think watching the Olympics is bad there, try watching it here where the most airtime is given to field hockey and equestrian events (that's when swimming isn't on of course)
I've actually seen powerwalking as an Olympic event.

 
At 8/16/2008 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and when the cops yelled "Get down!" did you actually get down?

 
At 8/17/2008 2:38 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Powerwalking?? Please tell me you're kidding.

Actually, after the cops yelled "Get down!", pretty much everyone stood up and peered over at the action. I interpreted their "get down!" to be directed at the perp, not me. Although I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to get down when someone around you is brandishing a loaded gun.

 
At 8/17/2008 6:23 AM, Blogger Candy said...

This girl I work with told me she saw horse walking as an event. She thought they might have been warming up the horses by letting them walk around, but no...the event was actually horse walking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home